Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger type exchangers are used in many process industries, as well as nuclear power stations as condensers, steam generators in pressurised water reactor power plants, and feed water heaters. They are also used in many other applications i.e. air conditioning and refrigeration systems. This type of heat exchangers offers a great flexibility to meet almost any service requirement.
Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger as the name proposed, they are built around tubes mounted in a cylindrical shell, the tubes are parallel to the shell. One fluid flows inside the tubes is called the (Tube Side Fluid), while the other fluid flows across and along the axis of the exchanger in the shell side (Shell Side Fluid).
Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Software Features (S&THex)
- Step by step design and rating calculations.
- Support S.I Units and English (U.S) Units of measurement
Units converter containing 23 measurements and 200 units conversions
- Save, Load and generate result in different formats
Unknown Flow rate, Unknown temperature, on either shell or tube side can be calculated.
- Unknown exit temperatures on both sides or Unknown two Temperatures one shell side and another tube sides
- Duty, Area, Shell and Tube velocities,Number of Baffles and Baffle spacing, Number of tubes, tube to tube clearance, Scale resistance (dirt factor),Overall heat transfer coefficient for both Clean and Fouled conditions can also be calculated.
- Select from different correlations to calculate shell or tube heat transfer coefficient.
- Shell/Tube side Reynolds & Nusselt numbers, Pressure Drops can also be calculated.
- Recommended minimum shell thickness, minimum recommended number & diameter of rods.
- Shell/Nozzle/Channel/Head/Tube sheet Thickness can also be calculated.
- Number of transfer units, Effectiveness, Thermal capacity ratio
Pumping power / Inlet and Exit Nozzles pressure losses / Scale resistance Calculators
- Ability to import properties to Shell/Tube sides form Microsoft Excel very useful if you want to import your own physical properties
- Shell & Tube Heat exchanger also includes a Database to Estimate the Physical properties of pure components for more than 1450 components; the database has the ability to estimate Thermal Conductivity, Density, Heat Capacity and Viscosity. The database also included critical properties, boiling and melting points and come as a standalone interface but easily integrated with the software.
- Estimate mixture properties. (ALL ESTIMATION METHODS CURRENTLY SUPPORT LIQUIDS ONLY)
Ability to add your own properties in the additional user databases as well as backup and restore these databases.
- Tube counts
- Fouling factors and Overall heat transfer coefficients included.
Material thermal conductivities
- Standard pipe sizes and Birmingham Wire Gage Scale
- Generate Results and export it to Shell & Tube Engineering Data sheet that can be also saved as a .pdf document.
- Export results to Microsoft excel generated data sheet for editing.
- Export Results summary to .csv file format that can be opened in Microsoft Excel
- Export Results summary to .rtf file format that can be opened in Microsoft Word
- Print preview / print Results summary
Chart Plotting Feature
+ Heat duty versus Temperature
+ Number of Tube passes Versus Tube side Pressure Drop
+ Temperature profile (inlet and outlet temperature profile for both shell and tube sides)
The demo version will work for 90 days with the 5 examples set inside the software.
To check the latest update history of this software please click here
Checking the version history against the version you have will allow you to identify all changes to this software.
Screen Shots Links
Latest Demonstration Video
Shell and tube heat exchanger design software (S&THex) – interface (Software version v3.4.0)
Importing physical property file to shell and tube heat exchanger design software – (Software version v3.3.0)
Shell and tube heat exchanger design software (S&THex) – Design Mode Example 1 (Software version v3.4.0)
00:00:18 Oil Heat exchanger
00:10:50 Generate Results Summary
00:13:21 Chart plotting
00:14:01 Adding Multiple cases